18 September 2009

My first recessed window cards


Tonight's theme for my home class was 3D and I thought when the tutorial on Split Coast Stampers showed these I thought they looked easy and really effective.

When making one they probably are but when prepping for 12 for class I was thinking I am MAD but I had a brainwave after measuring and scoring 4 to make a template with cardboard with a 1" square and a 1-¼" square frame - dare I say it I'm a genius! It was easy peasy after that.

I do recommend you watch the video link on SplitCoast Stampers rather than just read the tutorial.

Points of difference between the video and the written tutorial follow:
  1. Base card stock 5-¼” x 10- ¾”.
  2. Score at 5- ¼” and 5-½”
  3. On the front of the card pencil the first square 1”in from the outer lines. (I used a frame I cut out of cardboard to trace around - see below and the pictures to the right). 
  4. Then 2nd square ¼” inside the first square - again I used a frame I cut out of cardboard to trace around
  5. Score the lines with scoring blade or Scor-Pal
  6. To make the frame of designer series paper you need 5” square piece.
  7. Line up on cutter at 4- ¼” and cut from ¾” mark on top track to 4-¼”
  8. Turn and repeat on all 4 sides (this will give you a ¾” frame)
  9. Trim the off-cut to 3-⅛” square - use in recessed window.
To make the 1" frame of cardboard:
  1. Take a 5-¼” square of cardboard
  2. Line up on the trimmer at 4-¼” and cut from the 1" mark on top track to 4-¼”
  3. Turn and repeat on all 4 sides (this will give you a 1" frame) 
To make the 1-¼" frame of cardboard:
  1. Take a 5-¼” square of cardboard
  2. Line up on trimmer at 4" and cut from the 1-¼" mark to the 4" mark
  3. Turn and repeat on all 4 sides (this will give you a 1-¼" frame) 

Recipe:
Stamp set: Great Friend
Paper: Baja Breeze, Whisper White, Parisian Breeze DSP
Ink: Baja Breeze, Chocolate Chip, Sahara Sand
Other: Dazzling Diamonds glitter, dimensionals, 2-way glue pen, Kraft tafetta ribbon, Stamp-a-ma-jig, Scor-pal, cutting knife and metal ruler

Thanks to the cardboard frames for drawing the squares these won't be my last recessed window cards!

5 comments:

  1. Looks fab Karen, must try making one some time, love the colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, pure genius. You have got to love it when you come up with an idea like that and your cards are just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! Thanks for the instructions. I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Awesome Karen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate that you have taken the time to visit my blog and to leave a comment, I really do enjoy reading them.

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.
Karen